SAAW system (The Solution)
The WINDS system, which forms part of the SAAW system, acquires, stores, processes and presents all weather data, warnings and messages that pertain to the aeronautical environment, in accordance with the applicable ICAO and WMO standards.
The system is based on a client-server architecture, with a central server unit named SYP (SYstem Processor) and different types of remote workstations (MTD, MWS, MAI and ROL) connected to the server on an Ethernet TCP/IP LAN.
The SYP (System Processor) software is the main application of the WINDS system. The software runs on the operating platforms Microsoft Windows Server (NT, 2000, 2003) and Microsoft SQL Server.
The main SYP functions include:
- Weather data acquisition by serial lines connected to sensors;
- Distribution to remote client applications;
- Distribution of generated weather messages;
- Storage of received and processed weather data and bulletins
Each type of remote client has its defined function and is designed to be used by a specific class of personnel (operators and technicians):
Back to Meteorology, Environment & Territory
- MWS (short for Meteo Work Station) is the application software for weather observers and air traffic controllers. It provides a graphical analysis in time of all of the acquired weather measurements;
- MTD (short for Meteo Tower Display) is the application software for viewing the data required for air traffic controllers;
- MAI (MAIntenance workstation) is the application software for the technical maintenance personnel – specifically for the management of the system communication channels;
- ROL (Retrieval Off-Line workstation) is the application software developed for system historic data search and analysis.