Integrated Multimodal Platform for Urban and extra urban Logistic System Optimization
Financing body: Ministry for Economic Development (MSE)
Industria 2015 (Italian Government’s Industrial Policy Bill) – Sustainable Mobility
Theme b2): “Systems for secure mobility by integration between
vehicles and facilities for the passenger and/or freight transport”
(Coordinator), Info Solution., Italdata Ingegneria dell'Idea, I.Log
iniziative logistiche, OPTISOFT, CNR, Elsag Datamat, Softeco Sismat,
Consorzio Milano Ricerche, Università di Palermo, Powersoft, EAT
European Advanced Technologies, ACT Solutions, Media Plus, Università
di Roma “Sapienza”, Aitek, Planetek Italia, CIPI Centro
Interuniversitario sull’Ingegneria delle Piattaforme Informatiche,
Globo Informatica, Click&Find, TXT e-solutions, Project
Automation, Creasys, and Telespazio.
Duration: 36 months
Budgeted: 14.0 M€ in total – 3.0 M€ (Vitrociset)
Financed: 6 M€ in total – 1.1 M€ (Vitrociset)
IMPULSO project is aimed at the development of new technologies and
capacities for the operational improvement of freight transport and
handling based on cooperation and open standards, and offers the
maximum level of security.
IMPULSO consists in an integrated system
for goods handling in freight villages, in the medium to long haul
distribution, in storage facilities of metropolitan distribution
centres located in the outskirts of large cities and, finally, in the
retail distribution of urban areas.
This distribution model is illustrated in the following chart.
is structured as a modular project and can be placed on the market
compatibly with the existing infrastructural network and related
procedures, both in an integrated way and at modular level. It will
- A HW and a SW platform for the collection, processing and distribution of data;
set of HW and SW interfaces to various types of services considered
crucial by the prospective users of the system who will participate in
- A set of models representing the required devices for the upgrade and improvement of the existing infrastructure;
- Prototype HW components for operational management of vehicles and goods in the field.
Key to the chart (from the top down, left to right):
IMPULSO comprises the following main subsystems:
- Impulso – Freight Village ICT Platform
- Loader - Private Transporter – Fleet Management – Local Authorities
- Freight Village Satellite Receiving Station
- Transport Systems and Components;
- Information Logistics;
- Collaboration Systems and Components.
Transport Systems and Components (Leader: ElsagDatamat).
Sensor systems and components, hardware and infrastructure for the
collection of information “from the field” or the implementation of
actions or activities in a more or less automated way – in order to
make the logistics management of intermodal transport more precise and
efficient and reduce human intervention.
In particular, within this subsystem, the following will be developed:
Information logistic (Leader: Vitrociset). In a sense, it is the driving force of the system since it:
containers interfaceable with rail cars and road vehicles - these small
containers are subsets of standard containers and optimise pallet
- Equipment for automatic loading/unloading operations
– based on METROCARGO horizontal translation technology – which
obviates the inconvenience of bulk breaking by efficient road and rail
- On-board and ground components for goods and vehicle tracing and monitoring (e.g. RFID).
- provides a predictive system for order management;
the freight village warehouses, which also consists in the operational
management of automatic load/unload devices through AGVs (Autonomous
Ground Vehicles) moving independently but in a coordinated way in
accordance with the schemes prescribed by a remote control centre;
- manages the security and safety of load/unload operations;
- traces vehicle and goods positions and conditions in real time;
- models and predicts urban and interurban traffic conditions, by calculating the best routes for goods transport;
any irregularities in routes or processes during the handling of goods,
recognises critical situations and reports them to a control centre in
order to attenuate the effects of incidents:
- implements a
Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) with a high semantic and
ontological content for service integration and ultimate
Collaborative Systems and Components (Leader: Telespazio). This component integrates a few services for the implementation of IMPULSO and/or its upgrade with additional functionality.
More specifically this subsystem implements:
- vehicle and goods position certification (equally with legal value of the term);
- UHF systems self-tuning;
- IPV6 integration as communication standard between heterogeneous networks;
- Services for global end-to-end traceability of goods.